From fraud schemes to false claims, here are five legal cases involving physicians that Becker's reported on in January:
- A Washington physician agreed to pay $95,000 to resolve allegations that he participated in a scheme in which he ordered medically unnecessary durable medical equipment for kickbacks.
- Ashland, Ore.-based Asante Health System and one of its physicians agreed to pay $430,000 to settle allegations that they knowingly submitted false claims for cardiothoracic surgeries to federal health programs.
- Federal prosecutors have dismissed healthcare fraud charges against former cardiologist Richard Paulus, MD.
- Paul Giacopelli, MD, an anesthesiologist who works at New Hyde Park, N.Y.-based Northwell Health in Westchester and Long Island, both in New York, with privileges at Putnam Hospital Center in Carmel Hamlet, N.Y., was arrested for allegedly giving a woman anesthesia without her knowledge and sexually abusing her.
- The conviction of a Maryland physician for his role in a $15 million Medicare fraud scheme was vacated by a federal judge.