Here are nine physicians stepping into leadership roles outside of the C-suite Becker's has reported on since Jan. 3:
- The CDC has appointed Nirav Shah, MD, as principal deputy director. He will become second in leadership under CDC Director Rochelle Walensky, MD, in March.
- Debra Bogen, MD, has been nominated as Pennsylvania's secretary of health by Gov.-elect Josh Shapiro. She currently serves as the head of the Allegheny County Health Department.
- Mark Edney, MD, has been selected as the next public policy chair by the American Urological Association. He will begin serving as chair-elect June 1 and start his official four-year term June 1, 2024.
- Arturo Saavedra, MD, PhD, has been appointed dean of the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine in Richmond. He will also serve as executive vice president of medical affairs for VCU Health System.
- Matthew Christiansen, MD, was named the next state health officer and commissioner of the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources Bureau for Public Health.
- Raashan Williams, MD, has been named medical director of the Catheterization Laboratory at the Jersey City Medical Center in New Jersey.
- Claudia Gidea, MD, has been appointed medical director of heart transplant, mechanical circulatory support and advanced heart failure at Newark (N.J.) Beth Israel Medical Center.
- Dr. Mouaz Al-Mallah has been installed as president of the American Society of Nuclear Cardiology for the 2023 term.
- Gladys Ayala, MD, has been selected as the next dean and chief academic officer of NYU Long Island School of Medicine in Mineola, N.Y.