The median physician paid compensation per full time physician in the fourth quarter of 2022 was down slightly from the previous quarter to $346,596, according to Kaufman Hall's Physician Flash Report 2023.
Kaufman Hall gathered data from more than 200,000 employed physicians and advanced practice providers at around 100 institutions for the report.
Paid compensation was up, however, from the year prior. Median paid compensation per full time physician in the last year breaks down to:
1) Fourth quarter of 2021: $335,137
2) First quarter of 2022: $346,067
3) Second quarter of 2022: $333,953
4) Third quarter of 2022: $355,673
5) Fourth quarter of 2022: $346,596
The report also broke out the paid compensation for full time physicians by specialty. For the fourth quarter of 2022, the specialty breakdown is:
6) Primary care: $272,000
7) Medical specialty: $372,000
8) Surgical specialty: $461,000
9) Hospital-based specialty: $359,000
Surgical specialists reported a $9,000 drop from the third to fourth quarter, but a $10,000 gain year over year. Hospital-based specialty physicians had a $14,000 gain year over year.