Nashville, Tenn.-based HCA Healthcare co-founder Thomas Frist, MD, is the wealthiest physician billionaire, according to Forbes' real-time net worth tracker.
Here are eight things to know about Dr. Frist:
- Dr. Frist has a global wealth ranking of 74 with a net worth of $21.8 billion.
- Dr. Frist and his family are the wealthiest people in Tennessee.
- Dr. Frist received his medical degree from the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis.
- Dr. Frist previously served as a flight surgeon in the Air Force.
- Dr. Frist co-founded HCA Healthcare in 1968 alongside his father, Thomas Frist Sr., MD, and Jack Massey.
- Dr. Frist became president of HCA Healthcare in 1977 before being named chairman and CEO in 1987.
- Dr. Frist currently serves as chairman emeritus of HCA Healthcare.
- Dr. Frist was an inaugural inductee into the Tennessee Health Care Hall of Fame.