Here are five stats on physician compensation in 2023 that physicians should know:
- Thirty-two percent of employed physicians were paid through base salary, productivity targets and other performance metrics — the most popular compensation structure.
- Compensation for emergency medicine physicians increased by only 0.57 percent — the lowest increase among 29 specialities over the last five years.
- Urologist pay increased by 36 percent — the highest increase among 29 specialities over the last five years.
- Age accounts for 14 percent of the variation in physician earnings.
- Business income makes up 25 percent of physician earnings.