Health insurer lobby and trade group America's Health Insurance Plans May 17 outlined 10 steps state and federal lawmakers can take improve healthcare competition and increase access and affordability.
Those steps are:
1. Supporting consumer-centric expansion of home-based advanced care through value-based care and payment models
2. Bringing transparency to private equity firms' monopoly power in air ambulance, emergency, and certain specialty services that often provide services on a fee-for-service basis
3. Advancing site-neutral payments to protect consumers from having to pay more for the same services depending on site of care
4. Supporting patients' choice of telehealth when clinically appropriate
5. Addressing the harms caused by the dialysis duopoly
6. Stopping consolidated health systems from using their position to stifle negotiation and innovation
7. Speeding up availability of prescription drug biosimilars
8. Stopping drug manufacturers from engaging in patent games
9. Reforming the system for provider-acquired drugs
10. Addressing the ways drug manufacturers have abused charitable structures
Read the full plan here.