Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., was named the "smartest" hospital in the world by Newsweek.
The "World's Best Smart Hospitals" list for 2024 recognized 330 hospitals in the field of smart technologies that stand out for their use of electronic functionalities, telemedicine, digital imaging, artificial intelligence and robotics. The ranking was based on the results of two surveys: one of hospital managers and healthcare professionals, who recommended smart hospitals from around the world; and one of chief digital and information officers or senior management, who assessed the usage and implementation of smart technologies at hospitals. Additionally, desk research was used to validate each hospital's achievements.
The list includes hospitals from 28 countries, and 101 hospitals in the U.S. made the list — the most of any country.
Here are the 20 "smartest" hospitals in the world:
1. Mayo Clinic (Rochester, Minn.)
2. Cleveland Clinic
3. Massachusetts General Hospital (Boston)
4. The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Baltimore)
5. The Mount Sinai Hospital (New York City)
6. MD Anderson Cancer Center (Houston)
7. Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (New York City)
8. Brigham and Women's Hospital (Boston)
9. Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin
10. Karolinska Universitetssjukhuset (Solna, Sweden)
11. Houston Methodist Hospital
12. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (Los Angeles)
13. NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia and Cornell (New York City)
14. Sheba Medical Center (Ramat Gan, Israel)
15. Aarhus (Denmark) Universitetshospital
16. Stanford (Calif.) Health Care-Stanford Hospital
17. Abbott Northwestern Hospital (Minneapolis)
18. Boston Medical Center
19. Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (Boston)
20. Universitätsklinikum Essen (Germany)