Becker's has reported on five physicians committing fraud in the last two weeks:
- Francisco Ortiz, former COO of Morgantown, W.Va.-based Wedgewood Physicians, and James Mersing, MD, were charged for allegedly stealing $650,000 from the practice.
- Justin LaMonda, MD, a physician based in Moberly, Mo., pleaded guilty to a $537,322 fraud scheme, admitting he used his father's name to falsely bill Medicare and Medicaid.
- Illinois physician Mona Ghosh, MD, indicted on 13 counts of healthcare fraud by a federal grand jury.
- A jury on March 10 convicted pain physician Frederick Gooding, MD, for a $5 million healthcare fraud scheme.
- Former Pennsylvania physician John Keun Sang Lee, MD, was sentenced in federal court March 7 after being convicted for healthcare fraud.