As of 2022, a record 978,425 physicians nationwide are now certified by the American Board of Medical Specialties, the board's annual report found.
ABMS member boards certify in 40 specialties and 89 subspecialties.
Here are the 10 medical specialties with the fewest board-certified members:
- Colon and rectal surgery: 2,627
- Medical genetics and genomics: 2,632
- Nuclear medicine: 4,341
- Thoracic surgery: 5,824
- Allergy and immunology: 6,078
- Neurological surgery: 6,384
- Plastic surgery: 8,642
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation: 12,277
- Urology: 13,519
- Preventive medicine: 14,456