Here are five stats to know on physician compensation:
- Average physician pay declined by 2.4 percent in 2022.
- Male physicians earn an average of $122,000 more a year than their female counterparts.
- The gender pay gap between male and female physicians is 26 percent.
- Fifty-two percent of physicians reported feeling satisfied with their income in 2022, down from 55 percent in 2018.
- Public health and preventive medicine physicians, medicine's lowest-paid specialists, earned nearly 60 percent less than plastic surgeons, the highest-paid specialists.